W&L Academic Support Resources 2018-2019

Your primary source of academic support is your class professor. You are strongly encouraged to proactively introduce yourself to your professors, communicate in advance if you need to miss class, participate actively during class, and go to your professor’s office hours. If you have conflicts during office hours, ask your professor if you can set up an appointment.

Every FY student receives an Initial Faculty Adviser, and upper-division students choose a major adviser when they declare a major. Your adviser provides suggestions and guidance on registration, course selection, careers, graduate and professional school, study abroad, fellowships, etc. Advisers can also serve as a resource if you experience academic difficulties.

Click here: Faculty Adviser

The academic deans provide student academic support. Contact Dean Gwyn E. Campbell, [email protected], for the College or Dean Elizabeth Oliver, [email protected], for the Williams School. Contact Lauren Kozak, [email protected], for matters concerning disability accommodations.

The Math Center is located in Robinson 105 and is open Sunday-Thursday from 8:00-10:00 pm. Upper-division math majors are available to help Math 101 and 102 students on homework. No appointment is necessary.

Click here: The Math Center

Student tutors for introductory biology, chemistry, and physics courses will work in a designated study hall space between 8:00-10:00 pm Sunday through Thursday. Students may bring their homework to this study hall and may ask for help from the student tutors. Study Halls are in the IQ Center Stereo 3D lab, Science Center A202A.

The Writing Center is located on the main floor of Leyburn Library (room M11) and is open Sunday-Thursday from 8:00-10:00 pm. The Writing Center offers individual tutorial assistance to students on any college writing task, from papers and lab reports in any stage of completion to resumes and application essays. Scheduled appointments will have priority, but walk-ins are welcome.

Click here: The Writing Center

For students enrolled in Williams School classes, the Williams School Communication Center provides access to professional writing consultants versed in the particular details of writing within the disciplines of accounting, business, economics, and politics. The CommCenter is located in Huntley 118. You may schedule an appointment online.

Click here: Williams School Communication Center

Over 100 upper-division students serve as volunteer Peer Tutors, who are approved by faculty and trained to serve as tutors for specific classes and subjects. This is a free service. If you may need a peer tutor at any point, please request one online at to begin the matching process. Sooner is better. Over 150 matches occur each year.

The Baldridge Reading & Study Strategy Program is a one-week course for developing reading speed and comprehension. The program occurs September 17 – 21, 2018 with several sessions offered each day and does cost an additional fee. More information is available at www.baldridgereading.com.

Local learning specialist Anna Crockett offers coaching services and consulting for academic and life success on a fee-for-service basis. More information is available at www.executivefunctionmatters.com.

Academic difficulties are sometimes related to physical or mental health issues.  If you are concerned that your health may be causing academic difficulties, please make an appointment with the appropriate office in Student Health and Counseling.  The Student Health Center is located in the lower level of Davis Hall. The main entrance is off the alley at the back of the building. You will need your University card to enter the Student Health Center; to make an appointment call (540) 458-8401.  The Counseling Center is located on the first floor of Early-Fielding; to make an appointment call (540) 458-8590.

Click here: Student Health and Counseling

For non-academic issues, you are encouraged to contact the appropriate class dean: Dean Jason Rodocker, [email protected], for FY students, Dean Megan Hobbs, [email protected], for sophomores, Dean Tammi Simpson, [email protected], for juniors, and Dean Tammy Futrell, [email protected], for seniors. More information can be found at Student Affairs Class Deans.

The residential life staff is comprised of sophomore, junior and senior student leaders selected through a competitive process during fall term for the next academic year. Resident Advisers (RA’s) work with First-Year students in the First-Year residence halls. Community Assistants (CA’s) work with upper-division students in The Village, Woods Creek apartments and theme houses.

Click here: Residence Life Staff

The Peer Counseling Program is a team of student volunteers dedicated to helping other students experiencing emotional problems. Recognizing that students often feel most comfortable talking with friends about life issues, Peer Counselors receive extensive training on how to help other students. They are not therapists, but act as friends who are knowledgeable about the kinds of emotional issues affecting students and campus resources.

Click here: Peer Counselors

Washington and Lee University is committed to providing equal access to educational opportunities to qualified students with physical or mental disabilities, in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. For more information, contact the Title IX Coordinator and Director of Disability Resources Lauren Kozak, Elrod Commons 212, (540) 458-4055.

Click here: Accommodation for Students with Disabilities